Fluffy and Moist Coconut Cake from Scratch
Your search for the most divine Coconut Layer Cake is over! My recipe for homemade Coconut Cake recipe made from scratch is a keeper. This cake is so moist, light, and incredibly delicious. This show stopper cake, perfect for any occasion from birthdays and dinner parties to family dinner dessert, is so easy to make – aren’t those the BEST desserts – cakes and treats that look so elegant your family and friends will think you’ve bought them from a gourmet bakery or that it took you days and hours to make? Frost this cake with my simple Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting, this cake will have your family, friends, and guest wanting more! This recipe can also be used to make cupcakes.
I really hope you’ll give this recipe a try, and when you make it, be sure to let me know in the comment section below, as I’d absolutely love to hear what you think!! Also be sure take a photo of your creation, and post it on Instagram and tag me @cookingwithchika as I love seeing your photos! Also be sure to share this recipe across all your social media platforms!
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 9” baking pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper
- Place flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar into the bowl of a standing mixer. Using the paddle attachment, turn mixer on low speed.
- With your mixer on, slowly add the butter a few tablespoons at a time. Mix until mixture resembles a sand-like texture.
- Slowly pour in the coconut milk. Add vanilla extract. Stir until just combine and then stop and scrap the sides and bottom of your bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in pans for 5-10 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Ensure cakes cool completely to room temperature before assembly cake.
- Smear a teaspoon of your Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting onto your cake board.
- Take one cake layer and place it onto cake board, ensuring the bottom of the cake is facing up.
- Place a generous amount of your frosting onto the cake layer and smooth it using an offset spatula.
- Place 2nd cake layer over frosting layer.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes (sweetened or unsweetened) on the top of the cake.
- Place in fridge for 20 minutes and serve.