Apple cake is one of those cakes that are so perfect because they can be eaten for breakfast or dessert. I like to think my Apple Cake is quite simple yet elegant – thanks to the dusting of powdered sugar. This cake is really best served for brunch with some tea or coffee, or you can serve it for dessert along with a scoop of my Salted Caramel Ice Cream!. Its so light and not too sweet, plus the apples make this cake extra moist! Enjoy this cake any time of the day – see recipe demonstration below!
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 apples shredded or thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and line a 9 inch baking pan. Set aside
- Shred or thinly slice apples and place into a bowl.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into the bowl of a standing mixer. On low speed, mix ingredients for 5-10 seconds.
- Add butter and mix on medium low speed until mixture resembles sand
- Add milk and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add apples and fold into batter until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Mine baked for 35 minutes
- Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto cooling rack and cool to room temperature. Serve this cake warm or at room temperature with a garnish of powdered sugar or dollop of ice cream or whipped cream.