30 minute dinner recipe
Stewed Chicken and Vegetables
As a Nigerian Canadian, we always have chicken stew with rice and I love it – tender juicy chicken drenched in a thick spicy tomato sauce onto of rice – my favorite meal growing up and a staple dinner item. My mom has been adding a twist to this delicious stew recently by adding in vegetables and it is so easy to make. Juicy chicken thighs cooked in a thick chunky tomato sauce with vegetables – yum! This stewed chicken and vegetables is hearty sauce that pairs perfectly with rice or cooked quinoa, try adding some crayfish for real Nigerian flavor!
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 lbs 6 chicken thighs chicken thighs or beasts
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 28 fl ounce/798ml can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup diced zucchini
- ¼ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- Place oil into medium sized pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces, spices, chicken bouillon cube, salt and pepper and tomato paste. Toss to coat chicken and onions and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, turning chicken pieces to brown on each side.
- Add diced tomatoes and stir, ensure to scrape bottom of pot to get any pieces of chicken on the bottom of pan. Turn heat to medium low and cover. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced vegetables and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice or quinoa.