Cherry Pie filling in a cake?? Yes indeed!!
In all honesty, was I ever a true lover of Black forest Cake? No. Could I ever truly say that I had a love of cherries? No – with the exception of BC Cherries of course. So if I don’t have a true love affair of cherries, why do I have a cake recipe that stars this ingredient on my blog? My Chocolate Cherry Cake is one of my favorite cakes, and is a complete hit whenever I make it. It is one of the common cakes I get requested to make for family and friends, especially over the holidays. What makes this cake so amazing? Cherry Pie filling – the not so ‘secret’ ingredient!!
When I say this cake is one of the most moist and light cakes you will ever try I am not joking. And let’s talk a bit about the cherry pie filling – it adds such a nice complementary flavor to the chocolate – not over powering but has just enough presence for you and your guests to know that this is NOT your average chocolate cake. But Chika I absolutely HATE cherries – I challenge you to make this cake for yourself or anyone who stands against cherries and I promise, you/they will fall in love!
Not only is this cake DELICIOUS, it is also a cinch to make. You can make this cake using a food processor or blender, or of course in a stand mixer. I like to pulse/puree/mix my cherries with my eggs and sugar first for a few seconds then add the rest of my ingredients. So to all my chocolate lovers and cherry haters – I dare you to give this recipe a try!!!
I really hope you’ll give this recipe a try, and when you make it, be sure to let me know in the comment section below, as I’d absolutely love to hear what you think!! Also be sure take a photo of your creation, and post it on Instagram and tag me @cookingwithchika or #cookingwithchika as I love seeing your creations and photos! Also be sure to share this recipe across all your social media platforms!
Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 1 can of cherry pie filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup coco powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease bundt pan and set aside.
- Place cherry pie filling, sugar, eggs, and vanilla into food processor and pulse for 3 seconds
- Place flour, coco powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a separate bowl. Whisk to combine ingredients together.
- Pour dry ingredients into food processor. Pulse for 2 seconds.
- Add oil and milk through spout of food processor, while pulsing ingredients together.
- Remove lid and scrape down the sides of your food processor to ensure all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into greased bundt (cake) pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- When done, let cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, spread with chocolate glaze.
- Cut and serve!