Fluffy Whipped Cream Scones
There’s nothing better than a fresh batch of warm scones straight from the oven. This recipe is super simple to make, requiring only a few pantry ingredients in addition to some heavy cream! That’s right, there’s not cutting in butter for this recipe. The fat from the heavy cream gives these scones the perfect fluffy interior. Also don’t skimp out on the use of cake flour, that also lends to the berfect tender and light texture of these scones. Enjoy these scones with honey and butter or clotted cream and jam!
Homemade English Cream Scones
- 1 ½ cups cake flour sifted
- ½ cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place both flours, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir together using a wired whisk to fully combine.
- Mix heavy cream and vanilla together until fully combined and then add to flour mixture. Use a fork to stir until just combined.
- Turned out dough onto lightly floured surface and knead by folding dough over itself, until dough comes together. Add more flour as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Pat or roll dough into a 12 inch found circle and cut into wedges.
- Place each wedge of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with whipped cream or egg wash.
- Bake scones for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from baking tray and allow to cool on cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Bakers note #1: if you don’t have cake flour you can make your own! Simply measure out 1 cup of all purpose flour. Remove 2 tablespoons of the flour and add in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Sift ingredients togther, two times, with a seive and your ready to use! Bakers note #2: if you don’t have heavy cream you can use 1 cup half and half combined with ½ cup butter, melted