Looking for the BEST homemade applesauce? My recipe is a MUST!
Well I’ll be honest and say I think the main thing that makes this the best applesauce recipe is the type of apples I use – AMBROSIA apples. I love to use Ambrosia apples because they have such a nice natural sweetness, there is absolutely no need to add any additional sugar. This applesauce can be made plain or with the addition of cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla – the best combination! Give it a try either way and let me know how it turns out for you.
- 3 Ambrosia apples
- 1/3 cup water
- Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg optional
- Peel and core apples. Cut apples into bit sized pieces and place into medium saucepan with water.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat until apples are very soft.
- Using a fork or potato masher, mash apples.
- Add spices and stir to combine. Continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes, over medium low heat.
- Remove from stove and stir in vanilla. Allow to cool.
- Place into airtight container.
- Applesauce can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 months or frozen in ice cube tray