YEAST FREE DONUT HOLES
I really do love donuts and my yeast free donut holes make me love them even more! Not only does this recipe make the lightest, aireiest, fluffiest donuts, these are YEAST FREE, which means no sitting around waiting for the dough to proof! Now I will warn you, as easy as these are to make, they are absolutely addictive – please don’t say I didn’t warn you. Enjoy these donuts tossed with powedered or granulated sugar!
Homemade Donut Holes
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup plain yogurt
- Place flour, sugar, nutmeg, baking powder and salt into a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir together to fully combine ingredients, using a wired whisk.
- Create a well in the center of your dry ingredients. Add egg, vanilla and yogurt. Use wired whisk to break up the egg and combine with yogurt. Switch to a rubber spatula and gently fold ingredients together until just combined and there are no traces of flour. Do not over mix.
- Heat about 1 ½ cup of oil (sunflower or canola) in a small saucepan, over medium high heat.
- Fry dough a teaspoon at a time in the hot oil, turning donuts over once they begin to float, after about 1 ½ minutes. Continue to fry donuts, once turned, for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. NOTE: the donuts will not become very dark.
- Remove cooked donuts and place them on a paper towel lined plate. Gently pat down with additional paper towel to remove some additional oil.
- Toss cooked donuts into granulated sugar or powdered sugar and enjoy!