The BEST Strawberry Shortcake = Lemon Shortcakes with mascerated strawberries and fresh whipped cream!
Strawberry Shortcake is a classic summer dessert. My biscuit recipe is produces a light, moist cakelike biscuit, and no need to worry about rolling out your dough – this is a drop biscuit recipe! Halve the biscuits and cover with fresh mascerated strawberries and whipped cream!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon juiced and zest from one half
- 1/3 cup butter
- ¾ cups half and half
- 3 cups fresh strawberries sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ lemon juiced
- Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Place sliced strawberries, sugar and juice of half of a lemon into a medium sized bowl. Stir together to fully combine. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 and line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and lemon zest into a medium sized bowl. Using a fork, stir to combine.
- Add butter and cut into flour mixture until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add half and half and stir into mixture until just combined.
- Spoon ¼ cup of dough on parchment lined cookie sheet, leaving 2-inches in space between each biscuit.
- Bake in middle of preheated oven for 15-20 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- To assemble, halve shortcake and spoon over a few tablespoons of the prepared strawberries and juices. Top with other shortcake halve and spoon on more strawberries. Finish top with a dollop of whipped cream!