VANILLA CUSTARD/PASTRY CREAM/PUDDING
This versatile vanilla custard recipe can be used in any recipe that calls for vanilla pastry creme or vanilla pudding. Nothing beats homemade vanilla custard, pudding or crème!
Vanilla Custard Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 2 cups half and half or whole milk
- 1 ½ tablepoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place sugar, cornstarch and salt into a medium sized saucepan. Stir to fully combine.
- Add egg yolks to sugar mixture. Stir until mixture comes together and is smooth.
- Slowly add the milk and stir until fully combined.
- Turn heat on to medium low and cook mixture stirring continuously until bubbles begin to form on the top and mixture begins to thicken. Continue cooking, while stirring for another 5-7 minutes until mixture is thick and is at a gentle boil.
- Turn heat off and add butter and vanilla extract. Stir to fully combine ingredients.
- Pour custard into a bowl through a sieve/strainer.
- Transfer mixture into serving glasses or ramekins and cover with plastic wrap, ensuring it touches the surface of the custard.
- Place in fridge to set and cool for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with whipped cream and slice strawberries. Enjoy
-Use a cake or tart filling.