Vanilla Sponge Cake has never been lighter, fluffier, or easier to make! Now this for sure is not your typical Vanilla Cake that uses a creaming or cutting method, in fact this cake doesn’t have the addition of butter or oil – that’s right a – MOIST, LIGHT AND FLUFFY Vanilla Cake with no butter or oil? I kid you not! So what’s the key ingredient in this cake that adds all these wonderful cake-worthy attributes? Whipping cream! That’s right, you did not misread this post – whipping cream indeed. And best of all, there is no need to pre-whip your cream, simply add it in! Why in the world would you ever add WHIPPING CREAM in making cake batter, you may ask? Well aside from the richness it adds to your finished product it also helps create a beautifully light cake with a fine crumb and a soft silky texture. Don’t knock it until you try it, and when you do be sure to let me know :p
Whipping Cream Vanilla Sponge Cake
Author: Chika of Borrowed Delights
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and line 2 9 inch baking pans – set aside.
- Place flour, baking powder and salt into a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Place eggs into bowl of standing mixer and beat for 5-7 minutes on medium high speed – they should triple in volume and be pale in color.
- Afterwards, gradually add in the sugar and beat until dissolved – another 2-3 minutes
- Gently stir in your flour mixture, on lowest setting of your mixer, in 3 additions, alternating between your whipping cream, mixing until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake for 20-35 min.
- Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes and then invert onto cooling racks and cool completely.
Fill cake with custard or whipped cream and/or sliced fruits and frost using whipped cream frosting.