GOODBYE YELLOW BOXED CAKE MIX
My homemade yellow butter cake is the BEST and EASIEST yellow cake recipe! Not only does this cake offer the traditional delicious yellow cake flavor it is also super LIGHT and FLUFFY!!! Use your favorite frosting to fill and frost this delicious cake such as my Chocolate Fudge Frosting, Whipped Chocolate Frosting, Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting or even my Avocado Chocolate Mousse!
Homemade Yellow Butter Cake
- ¾ cup butter softened at room temperature
- 3/4 cups granulated white sugar
- 3 whole eggs separated
- 2 ½ cups cake flour sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 325. Butter 3 8 inch cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Place butter and sugar into bowl of stand mixer. Using paddle attachment, cream together until light and fluffy – between 3-5 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time, adding each yolk once the other is fully combined.
- Place dry ingredients through a sieve and sift together. Set aside.
- Add oil to buttermilk and stir to fully combine.
- On the lowest setting add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating between the oil and buttermilk mixture. Mix until the flour is just combined each time.
- Scrape down he bottom and sides of the bowl, using a rubber spatula, ensuring the mixture is fully combined.
- Beat egg whites until they hold a stiff peak.
- Add the egg whites to the batter and gently fold into batter until fully combined.
- Divide batter evenly between the 3 baking pans.
- Bake in middle rack in oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool in pans for 15-20 minutes then invert cakes onto cooling rack and allow to cool fully.
- Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting and serve!!